Pertinent Field Trip Information
At other times of the year, and depending on the size of the group, we can often provide docents to take smaller groups throughout the Zoo. The tour will take about 2 hours. Please make reservations at least 1 month before your visit.
During the month of May, we often have several hundred children visiting our Zoo on the same day. Due to large numbers, we have found that it works better to have our docents stationed throughout the Zoo, where they are able to talk about the plants and animals and answer questions.
Depending on the size of your group and the length of time you have to spend at our Zoo, we have several special programs. Most of these programs are presented in a hands-manner. We also have PowerPoint presentations available on-line that you can show your students before your visit. We request that you make reservations at least 1 month before your arrival, so the Docent Coordinator can discuss the programs with you.
This site is matained by the Friends of the Living Desert, a non-profit organization
that provides support for the Living Desert Zoo and Gardens State Park.
Pictures may be used for educational purposes.
Copyright © Friends of the Living Desert. All rights reserved.
in Carlsbad, New Mexico
1. Do not feed the animals because they are all on special diets , and humans food may harm them.
2. Stay on the trail.
3. Stay behind your leader and with your group at all times.
4. Do not run in the Visitors Center or on the trail.
5. Do not climb or sit on the Zoo's walls and exhibits.
6. Do not tease the animals or tap on the exhibits.
7. Stay behind the barriers (fences, railings, etc.) at the animal exhibits.
8. Remember that the quieter you are, the more animals you are likely to see.